Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bruschetta (Round 2)

I made bruschetta in an earlier post, but it was made quite differently.  My husband thinks this is the superior recipe, so I'm sharing it!  Again, this was all about using what I had and buying what I love and pulling it altogether!

Ingredients:
Loaf of Italian bread (by the bakery/deli)
2 Roma tomatoes
Small jar of basil pesto spread (by the spaghetti sauce)
Mozzarella cheese (that you slice yourself; not shredded.  the best kind is in the gourmet cheese section.)
Margarine
Garlic salt
Oregano

Slice the bread into thick pieces.  Butter each side and toast each side on top of the stove.  I prefer to do it in an iron skillet.  This way each side gets crisp, but the center is still soft-- easy to bite and chew!

While toasting your bread, cut the tomatoes into chunks and sprinkle with garlic salt and oregano.
Mix the basil pesto spread with the tomatoes.  Use as little or as much as you'd like.

When the bread is all toasty, layer one side with cheese then spoon the tomato/pesto mix on top.

This tastes so good!  We made it two days in a row!
It's great for summer because it's not heavy, it's cool, and you can visit the farmers market for your maters!

2 comments:

A Dawn said...

This looks so good. I'm pretty excited about trying it...and my kids are excited about eating it!! Thanks for all the great posts.

marla grace said...

angela-
lemme know how it turns out! and if the kiddos like it! (they'll eat veggies? good for them!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...