Friday, October 01, 2021

Buffalo Plaid Skirt from a Men's Shirt



Here’s your weekend project— an easy skirt made from a shirt!

There’s no pattern, and it’s beginner friendly. It’s just two flat pieces sewn together!

Grab a shirt that has plenty of room to fit around your hips and enough fabric for a seam allowance. You can use your waist and hip measurements to trace out the skirt, or grab a skirt that you already have and trace it onto the shirt fabric, adding seam allowance.

I did French seams, but you can just do a straight stitch down each side and not worry about finishing the seams inside the skirt.

I made a waistband, but you could fold the top over and stitch it in place. Just be sure that you don’t sew the top closed where it buttons since you need to unbutton the skirt to put it on.

Don’t have a sewing machine? There are fabric glues you can use until you work up the nerve to learn sewing. Learning to piece fabric together and understanding garment construction is a good place to start, and I won’t tell anyone you used glue!

I didn’t have to hem the bottom, because I left the original shirt hem.

You could use a seam ripper to remove the pockets, but I liked the look of leaving them.

If you make this or any recycled men’s shirt, tag me in your photos so I can see!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...