Monday, August 01, 2016

Summer Reading Selections

August is here, so the end of summer is just around the corner.  If you have kids in school, or you work at a school, you only have a couple weeks of summer break left.  When I was in school, I remember the final days being bittersweet.  I was sad to say goodbye to the late nights, flexible days, and no homework.

If you're looking for a few books to squeeze in before your break ends, I have a few suggestions.  The books I picked are good to take on a plane or on a road trip.  They're light reads that are good for the beach or pool.  You can also easily read them in bed or on the couch if you're finishing your break at home!

None of them are new releases, but if you're like me, you like to search thrift shops and eBay for hidden gems or books you just hadn't gotten around to reading yet.  I'm sure your local library has most of these or can get them for you from a library in their system, so you're not out any money!

Let's get started!


I have read both of these books on planes.  They're humorous twists on classic books.  If you only have time for one, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is my top book.  There is a movie adaptation, but I haven't seen it yet.


If you're a Francophile like me, you'll like these books.  I read My Life in France after seeing Julie & Julia.  If you've ever wanted to visit France, this will only intensify that feeling.

Judgement of Paris will interest you if you like wine and like the idea that Californians made better wine than the French.  The movie Bottle Shock is based on this book, and it's a good movie to check out.




I read The Nanny Diaries on the beach, so I know for a fact it's a good beach read!  I had seen the movie and picked up this book at a thrift shop.  If you don't mind predictable and want something lighthearted and a quick read, this is a good choice.

Can you tell I like watching the movies that go along with the books? :)

I also read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on the beach a few years ago.  I was looking for a good beach read and came across this.  It's a story told through a collection of letters.  It's set after WWII and focuses on the people of Guernsey Island.  This is a charming book, and I couldn't put it down.

I'm sure Tina Fey's Bossypants is a book you've heard about or have at least seen sitting on store shelves.  I put it here to encourage you to pick it up if you haven't yet.  The stories of her childhood are hilarious, and it's an encouraging book to fellow ambitious females.


If you like to travel or like to read about others' travels, check out Peter Jenkins.  My dad found A Walk Across America in a thrift shop and passed it along to me.  After that, I tracked down the rest of the books.  I was hooked!  Jenkins takes you into his travels and gives you the urge to see the world.  If you don't have time to read them all, my top two picks are A Walk Across America and Along the Edge of America.  But I really like all of them, so they're all good picks!


This is the only Christian book in my list, because I usually read Christian literature when I'm alone and can focus and have room to spread out notebooks and my Bible for reference.  That's not usually conducive to a sandy beach or a small airplane tray.  It's Not About Me by Max Lucado is a quick read and perfect for travel.  It's thought provoking and convicting, so it's not shallow or fluff, but it lends to any interruptions you may have and will fit in a beach bag.  I made my notes in the book rather than in a journal, and if I wanted to reference anything in my Bible, I could make a note of it.


I hope this gave you some ideas for a book or two to check out to help round out the summer.

I'd love to hear your summer recommendations!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...