Monday, August 22, 2016

Sewing & Embroidery: Car Show Tag


When you go to car shows, you sometimes see slips of paper in the front windshield to tell you the year, make, and model of the car.  Most of the time you just have to guess what year the car is.  If the owner is standing around, you can ask them.  What if the owner, which may be you, is also walking around checking out cars?  I made a little hang tag to answer that question!  I also stuck my web address on it since I blog about the car.

Here's how I did it!

I used the buggy design from Lynnie Pinnie.  On my embroidery machine, I skipped some stitches and skipped the appliqué.  I wanted it to look more like a sketch.

I used a font from within the Sew What Pro program.  I've read in Facebook groups not to use them.  Well, I wanted to try it out, and I learned my lesson.  Don't use them!  They don't stitch out very nicely.




I sewed quilting batting to the back piece of fabric.

I sewed the front and back fabric pieces right sides together.  Leave a large enough opening to turn it inside out.  I had to use a seam ripper to make a larger opening than what is shown in the picture.


Turn inside out and topstitch.  I secured a ribbon to hang it by as I topstitched.  I should have sewn the ribbon in when I originally sewed the fabric right sides together.  Note for next time.

I used a Sharpie to write my website.  We'll call this mixed media ;).  This project is far from perfect, but I wanted this to be fun, and I didn't make any patterns or plans before I started making it.  Sometimes it's nice to just create as you go.


It's ready to hang from the rearview mirror for the next car show!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...