Monday, August 31, 2020

Star + Clouds Baby Mobile

When I was pregnant with my first daughter six year ago, I made her a mobile.  It was a cloud with stars hanging down. Now that I'm pregnant with our second daughter, I wanted to do something similar but different. So, I made a star with clouds hanging. Genius, huh? ;)

There is a tutorial for the first mobile I made here.

There will not be a tutorial for this mobile. I made it while juggling a few other projects and didn't take the time to document the steps. I also found there were a few things I would do differently if I were to do it again.  But I will let you know about the materials in case you want to attempt something similar!

The star is made from glitter canvas. I bought two 8.5x11 sheets at Hobby Lobby. There were in the section with felt sheets. I cut the sheets into stars and then sewed them together. I used glossy Mod Podge to seal the glitter so it wouldn't shed and fall into the crib.

The clouds are cut from faux leather that I've had-- the same faux leather used to make the stars on the first mobile. I painted the clouds white and sealed them with glossy Mod Podge to keep the paint from peeling.

Also like the first mobile, I used guitar strings. These particular strings were brand new, so they still have some stretching to do not to curl up.

The raindrops are cut from Hobby Lobby fabric I used to make the baby blanket. I may go back later and hand stitch around them to add interest. But we'll see about that.

Working with the glitter canvas was a bit of a challenge to hand sew the guitar strings to it. I used E6000 to reinforce where I stitched. I stuffed the star with two plastic grocery bags to give it some dimension.

It was a labor of love. And sometimes frustration. Once the guitar strings straighten out, it will look a bit more polished.

Just a few more weeks and we'll have a little one staring up at it!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...