Monday, October 26, 2015

Harlow's First Birthday-- Strawberry Cake & Strawberry Icing





Strawberry cake is my favorite, and I knew I wanted to make it for Harlow's party.  Who can go wrong with naturally pink cake?

I found a cake recipe and tested it out as my birthday cake back in July.  It passed the test!  The icing recipe that accompanied the cake recipe was too runny, though.  It was yummy and perfect for a sheet cake, but wasn't thick enough for a layer cake.

I found an icing recipe in a cookbook I had and made a batch to test it out.  The icing can last up to 3 months in the fridge, so I made it early so I had time to find another recipe if I didn't like it.  Well, it was delicious!  And thick!

I made Harlow's cake two days before her birthday and put it in the fridge.  That same day I added mashed strawberries to the icing and kept it stored in the fridge.

Both recipes are pretty easy and are SO TASTY!

It was a hit at the party.  But don't take my word for it…just ask Harlow!

The cake recipe will make one cake.  I doubled it to add cupcakes and Harlow's small smash cake.  I doubled the icing recipe and had a small amount left over.

*Easy Strawberry Cake recipe from Call Me PMc

*Bakery Frosting recipe from The Taste of Home Cookbook
  • 2 cups shortening (I used organic vegetable shortening)
  • 1/2 cup powdered nondairy creamer
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 package (32 ounces) confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup water (or less if you're adding strawberries and their juice-- I added a little less than one small carton of smashed strawberries)
  • Food coloring, optional (I didn't use any)
1) In a large mixing bowl, beat the shortening, creamer and extract until smooth.  Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar.  Add enough water until frosting reaches desired consistency.  Tint with food coloring if desired.

2) Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.  Bring to room temperature before spreading.

Yield: 8 cups




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...