Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lentils, Lentils Are Good for Your Heart...

I love beans.  Which I was embarrassed to admit growing up, because apparently kids aren't supposed to like beans.  And if you're a kid and you eat beans in front of other kids, you will likely hear "beans, beans are good for your heart...".  You know how it ends.

One bean I somehow had never tried was lentils.  I had them for the first time this week.
I'm not sure how I hadn't had these before.  They're cheap, easy to fix, and taste good.
If you're looking for a good lentil recipe, try this one from Real Simple.

I had to make a few substitutions to fit what I had in the fridge and pantry:
curry paste instead of curry powder
no bay leaf
vegetable stock instead of broth
spinach instead of arugula/watercress
pre-cooked smoked sausage

This makes a large portion.  I'm going to see if it freezes well (I'm all about freezing leftovers for an easy meal later!).

What's even better than the amount that it makes for such a cheap price is that it tastes really good, and it's hearty!  It's Colin approved.
Why eat lentils?  They're apparently amazingly good for you!
Don't take my word for it!  Check out these sites:
9 Reasons to Love Lentils
Livestrong
Livestrong Again- They really love lentils!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...