Thursday, February 09, 2012

Katie's Potato Soup

About a month ago, I went to have lunch at my friend Katie's house.  She made a potato soup that was delicious!

It's been chilly here this week, and I wanted some of that soup for dinner this week.  I texted Katie and asked for the recipe.  When I went home at lunch, I hadn't heard from her yet, so I went ahead and made it the best I could remember.

When I got back to work, I had an email from her with the recipe.  So, here's Katie's recipe for potato soup:


Ingredients
green onion diced (I use around 5)
block of cream cheese
2-4 cups of diced potatoes (we like ours chunky)
1 can chicken broth
2 cups of milk
1 package of real bacon bit pieces

Put bacon in pot and heat until it starts to shed some of the grease.
Add onion and saute a little bit.
Next pour in chicken broth and milk.
Add cream cheese and let the cheese melt.
Finally add potatoes and cook on low until they are tender.
Top with cheese, sour cream, gluten free croutons etc.!

She added the gluten free croutons for me ;)
So, remember that I said I didn't have her full recipe when I made mine?  Here's how I threw it together:
-Sliced the potatoes
-2 cups of vegetable broth
-2 cups of milk
-block of cream cheese
-5 strips of cooked bacon-- diced
-salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper (I like spice!)
-Threw it in the crockpot and cooked on high for 4 1/2 hours
-Put green onions in for the last 20 minutes of cooking
-Topped with shredded cheddar and sour cream

It tastes almost exactly the same both ways.  It just depends on what ingredients you have in the pantry that day!

This is a great winter meal, so make it before winter is gone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...