Friday, January 06, 2012

New Year's Meal

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S!!!

I know I'm a bit late!
I'm still celebrating Christmas!

I had to go back to work on Monday, but the hubster was still off work, and he surprised me with a great dinner!  He made boiled cabbage with sausage and black eyed peas with bacon!  It was delicious!!!  And we ate on it for three days, because it makes so much!

When I got home, I whipped up some corn bread to go with it and a cake for dessert.

I am about to share one of my most prized possessions with you--- the cornbread recipe.  It can be found in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, but I don't think many people know how wonderful it is.  I've been making it since I was a kid, because it's what my mom used.  This will be the BEST cornbread you've ever made.  I don't follow the directions.  I throw all the ingredients in a bowl and just mix all at once.  I think that's part of the magic.  So make sure you do that.  Oh, and make it in a cast iron skillet-- no exceptions!
(click picture to enlarge)

I also made a cake from a recipe found in the cookbook.  I had never made it before, but it might be my new favorite cake!  I love the history they tell you about the recipe.  And I love that it's gooey like brownies and not all dry and cakey.  I had to use gluten free flour, but that was my only change from the recipe.
This picture is extra gooey, because I couldn't wait for it to cool!  It won't be this gooey once it sets.  But I agree with the recipe in that it needs to be served warm.
Ruby laid by the table as we scarfed down our wonderful food.  Poor Ruby.  She just had dog food for dinner.
I hope you have a blessed New Year!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...