Monday, November 07, 2011

Tutorial: Dictionary Necklace Charms

It's that time to start shopping for Christmas presents!  Or to start thinking of what presents to make!  
Here's an idea that might be the perfect small gift, and it's completely personable!
It's easy to make, and the supplies you need will come in handy for several craft projects.

Step 1
Cut out pieces of paper.
I cut words out of a dictionary.

Step 2
Mod Podge the paper to jewelry bails.
You can find bails at any craft store.  They come in a variety of finishes.  My bails are a bronze color.

Step 3
Once the paper is dry, trim it to fit the bails.

Step 4
Use Mod Podge Dimensional Magic to add a clear gloss to the top.  This also (as the name says) adds dimension to your paper.
I won the DM from a Mod Podge Rocks giveaway...it's amazing!
I did one coat and let it dry.
Then I did a second coat and let it dry.
Then I did a third coat.
You number of coats will depend on the amount of dimension you want.

Final Product
My dictionary paper was thin and inexpensive, so you can see the color of the bails coming through, but I like the antique look it has.

This is one way to create a completely unique piece of jewelry.  You can pick words out of the dictionary that describe the person you're giving the gift to.  Or you can use decorative paper or a photo.  

Get creative!

I'd love to see if any of you have tried this or if you make any!


Linking up:

6 comments:

Angela said...

I love this! I have not heard of the Dimensional Magic before. I'm going definitely going to try this! I've seen necklaces like this on Etsy...I had no idea how they were made.
Thanks for sharing!
Angela

Maegan said...

So cute! I had no idea it was so simple to make those charms. Will definitely be making some for my four sisters for this Christmas. I'm hoping to add this link to my list of DIY Christmas Ideas for Girls on my blog.
Thanks for the post!
Maegan

TeriB said...

I've not seen the Dimensional Magic........I'll be adding it to my "buy with a coupon" list!

Teri
http://borntobewornjewelry.wordpress.com

TeriB said...

I've not seen the Dimensional Magic........I'll be adding it to my "buy with a coupon" list!

Teri
http://borntobewornjewelry.wordpress.com

Rachel Sue said...

These are awesome! I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

These are great! I love the greenish tinge they got.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...