Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Dose of Encouragement

I have never considered myself a feminist.  It's just that I've had so many great men in my life, that I never felt the need to bash men or to say that I'm more capable of doing something than they are.  The first man in my life was my dad.  My dad is smart, bold, firm, funny, able to make or fix anything, a baker and cook, loving, so on and so on.  My husband is also incredible.  He's the most caring person I know and makes me feel so valued.  I had a lot of guy friends growing up and in college.  Most of my best friends were guys.  They never made me feel like I wasn't capable of doing certain things or that I was less.  I have been really blessed to have boys and men like that in my life.

But

I have been around guys that have made me feel quite the opposite.  I hate to say it, but it is so true that women that are determined and hard workers are often seen as pushy or mean, while men that have the same attributes are just seen for those attributes and are not put into some emotional category like women.  I am a hard worker.  I have ideas, and I like to accomplish goals.  The end.  There's nothing catty to read into that.

A few months ago I read Tina Fey's book Bossypants, and it was so refreshing to know that it's okay to be a dedicated and hard worker.  She and Amy Poehler decided to not let guys keep them from being funny and from being on TV.  Thank you!  Because I love both 30 Rock and Park and Recreation and am so glad they didn't give up!

I've been reading Mindy Kaling's blog recently and have also gotten some encouragement from it.  Not like in a Teenage Soup for the Soul kind of way, but in a Do What You Love No Matter Who Wants to Keep You From Doing It kind of way.  Plus I love The Office.  What is it with me loving NBC comedy gals?

Mindy posted a link to Beyonce's Year of 4 documentary.  Let me say that I think Beyonce says some weird stuff in the documentary.  Especially with the whole feeling baptized by the sea thing.  But anyhoo, I really liked the piece and felt motivated by it.

I say this to say: I have been having to remind myself lately that it's not about the critics or the doubters.  I need to do what I love.  As a female, I can bring unique things to the table.  If you feel discouraged by others, don't do what I've done for so long.  Don't let others stifle your passion and love and creativity.

I know that this post had lots of words and no pictures.  Thanks for staying with me and letting me rant a bit.  And please know that what I've said is not a self pity party.  It's just what's currently on my heart, and I hope that it helps one of you.

Love, Marla

A few other gals that inspire:
Zooey Deschanel & New Girl show
HelloGiggles
Leanne Marshall
**There's no way I could list them all.  These are just a few that are recently encouraging me through their art.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...