Thursday, March 22, 2012

Healthy, Yummy, Easy Shakes & Smoothies!

I have been on a shake kick lately.  I got a Ninja kit for Christmas, so that's partly why I'm so anxious to mix things up!

I've also wanted to get more fruits and veggies and good nutrients in my system.  I make veggies for dinner, so I wanted fruit for breakfast or lunch.  I don't always have time to prep fruit or keep it freshly stocked.  I also don't have much time for breakfast in the morning when rushing to work, so I needed to it be quick and easy all around.

Shakes are perfect, because you can use frozen fruit!  I buy frozen berries that are already bagged.  Then I buy bananas, peel them, and throw them in a freezer bag.  This also saves me from having to use ice in my shakes-- keeping the flavor at its best!

Here are just a few recipes I've been making over and over.  And over.

I think they're all yummy (because who wants to slurp an icky drink?)!

Drink these fresh!  Just like a banana isn't good after it sits out all day, these shakes are best when you drink them fresh.

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Shake
-1/3 cup milk (I use almond or 2%)
-1/3 cup honey Greek yogurt
-2 tbsp peanut butter (I used extra crunchy)
-1 frozen banana
-2 squares of dark, dark chocolate (I use 85% cocoa---dark!  Even though it's too dark to really eat, it's perfect for mixing.)
-2 packets of no calorie sweetener

Throw it all in a blender and blend it up!  This makes one hefty serving or enough to share with someone else.

This shake is perfect for breakfast, because it keeps me full and not tempted to snack before lunch.


Green Monster
-1/2 cup milk
-1/2 cup Greek yogurt
-1 tbsp peanut butter
-1 frozen banana
-4 cups of fresh spinach

Yes, this has spinach in it.  Yes it turns out green.  But you won't care!  It's refreshing and filling.


Fruity Tooty
-Frozen banana
-Frozen fruit (I used mango, strawberries, grapes, pineapple.  The flavor will depend on the fruit you use)
-Splash of orange juice

This is refreshing and great for breakfast or mid-day snack!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a dietician or health expert, so please don't use this as a diet.  I'm just trying to stay healthy, and I hope these help you.

Here's some other people's input on some of the ingredients I use:

Benefits of Greek Yogurt:
WebMD
Livestrong

Benefits of Dark Chocolate:
WebMD

Benefits of Spinach:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/479103-is-eating-raw-spinach-good-for-you/

Benefits of Peanut Butter:
Prevention

Benefits of Milk:
Oprah

Benefits of Bananas:
Nutrition Uncovered

Why You Should Eat Fruit & Vegetables:
CDC- Calculate How Many Fruits & Vegetables You Need
Harvard

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...