Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Travel Watercolors

We went camping last week at Bull Shoals-White River State Park. When it was time to pack up, I told Colin I just needed 10 minutes to do something for myself. The trip was full of family time, which is why we went, but I’m trying to carve out time to also do some things I enjoy (by myself ;) ). I decided to start this practice on our last trip to Woolly Hollow State Park.

At this current stage of parenting, I can’t really sit and read uninterrupted for any length of time. Our youngest might wander off! But I can take 10 minutes to sketch and paint with watercolors while she naps or while I keep watch to make sure she doesn’t head for the water’s edge.
I’ve had this watercolor kit for about a decade but it has been neglected for far too long. It’s compact and perfect for traveling. Water goes in the brush handle, so there’s no need for a cup of water. The paints are very pigmented and blend well. I sketch with a pencil then paint over it. I only have a few minutes to work, so I don’t strive for perfection (although, what does that even really mean in art?). I just strive for a minute to do something I enjoy and to capture a moment from our trip. I paint in my notebook where I log our trips.
The rainbow trout represents our time on the White River. The pennant I painted at Woolly Hollow is of the pennant I made from felt and vinyl for our girls’ last birthday party that’s hanging in our camper.
I encourage you to take a few minutes for yourself to do something you love, to try something new, to take in the moment, to show your kids that they can do the same.
I got the watercolor kit at @hobbylobby where you can sometimes catch it on sale. It’s also available on Amazon.
Kit with a different color palette: https://amzn.to/3NZKjVo
What do you like to do when you have a moment to yourself?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...