Thursday, March 11, 2021

The Power of Words

 

Last night I posted in my Instagram stories about the time I made some jewelry and posted pictures of it on Facebook, and it incited a complete stranger to go on a rant about how much she disliked it and then she turned it into a personal attack on me as the shop owner.

That seemed to resonate with some of you and how you’ve been affected by others’ words. Words can really hurt, even when they’re coming from a complete stranger.

We’re currently teaching our oldest daughter about the importance of her words. Due to hurtful words from other children at school and how that makes her feel and how it influences her own speech, we’re having lots of conversations about how our words honor or dishonor God. When she left for school this morning, I had her bring her Bible that she got for Christmas into the living room. I opened it to Psalm 19:14 and read her, “Lord, may these words of my mouth please you. And may these thoughts of my heart please you also. You are my Rock and my Redeemer” (NIRV). We talked about how what we say and think can please God and make Him happy, or they can make him unhappy. I told her to say this verse to herself throughout the day as she thinks about how to talk to her classmates. She can use words to be kind and loving. She can use words to stand up to people if they are bullies to her or to other kids, but she can still do it with words that please God.

After she left for school, I started thinking about how what I’m teaching her is something I continually have to teach myself. My words, whether encouraging, instructive, or defensive need to always be words that please and honor God. I have to pray before I speak and lean into the Holy Spirit to choose my words. On my own, my words can be hurtful and cutting. God, how we need You to find the words that please you, whether in face-to-face conversations or on social media. Please guide our words, Lord.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...