Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fresh Guacamole Recipe

It's hot hot hot outside, which means I want something cool and fresh to eat.  I've been making lots of guacamole.  It's perfect for when you're feeding lots of people or for when you want to snack on it a few days (I'll tell you how to keep it good for a couple days!).

Let's get started...

1)Dice half a red onion.
I like red because of the flavor and color.  If you're not crazy about onion, you can use less, but I wouldn't omit it altogether.
2)Squeeze the juice from one lemon over the onions and stir.

3) Put two ripe avocados in with the onions. (My husband likes for me to use four avocados...so it just depends on how much you want!)

4) Grab a potato masher, and mash the avocado!

5) Add minced garlic (fresh or jarred),

6) Add cumin and cayenne pepper to taste.
Stir.

7) Dice one tomato.  I've also found that slicing cherry tomatoes work; I almost prefer those, because they stay firm and are easier to slice up.

8) Add the tomatoes to the mixture.

9) Add juice from another lime. (My husband also prefers omitting this last lime...so again, it's up to you!)
Stir.
(Optional: Add cilantro.  I add it if I have some around the house).

10) Take the pits (pits? seeds? What are they called??) from the two avocados, and put them in the mixture.
Leave them in.  They'll help keep it fresh and green!

I keep mine in a tupperware bowl so it will seal up.  It stays good in the fridge for about three days.  The lime juice may need to be stirred as the guacamole sits, but I think the flavor is actually better on the second day when all the flavors are married together.

Ruby sat at the kitchen door while I made this.

She was waiting for a tortilla chip.

How do you like your guacamole?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...