Tuesday, June 28, 2016

DIY: Drop Cloth Curtains

When I had a store, there was a class space in the back of the store.  We had yoga classes twice a week and a few craft classes a month.  I also had an office/workspace in the back and dressing rooms.  To route traffic and to also draw attention to the class space, I wanted floor to ceiling curtains.  The ceilings were incredibly tall.  If memory serves me correctly, I think the ceilings were 16 feet tall.  Fabric can be expensive, especially the amount I would have needed.

My sister-in-law is an interior designer.  She did an outdoor space where she hung curtains to be able to close off the back deck.  You would have never guessed, but she used drop cloth.  As in painter's drop cloth from the hardware store!

Inspired by her, I knew that would be the most affordable option for me.  I bought one 12 foot drop cloth.  I don't remember the price, but I'm pretty sure it was less than $10.

I cut the cloth in half, height-wise.  I used a stamp to give some interest to the curtains.

I was lazy and didn't steam or iron the curtains.  The wrinkles came out after hanging for awhile.

If you need a cheap fix, this is the route to go!  You can leave them plain or paint them or embellish them.  And you don't have to tell anyone that they're drop cloths :).

I wasn't able to find pictures of the finished product except a tiny peek in the far left of the last picture.

I used curtain rings with clips so I didn't have to sew a hem to hang them at the top, and I hung them from conduit, which is a great cheap option for a curtain rod!

If I can ever find where I stored the pictures of the finished project, I'll add them to the post.  In the meantime, please forgive me, and I hope this still serves as some inspiration for you!









No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...