Sunday, June 14, 2015

Spaghetti Squash with Buttery Kale


I tried spaghetti squash a few years ago but didn't really know what to do with it.  It has recently become a huge craze, and now, thanks to Pinterest, there are lots of yummy recipes out there!

I'm giving this funny squash a second chance, and we're off to a good start!  I made a stir fry a couple weeks ago and knew I wanted to try a few other variations.

I also have started making zoodles-- zucchini noodles!  I'll share more about that in the future, but I promise they tie in to my spaghetti squash post!

I asked my instagram friends for zoodle recipes, and I got some good ones that I've pinned for later.  Ramona sent me a recipe for butternut squash noodles with kale.  It looked soooo good!  The problem was I didn't have butternut squash on hand…or a few other needed ingredients.  I did have a spaghetti squash in the fridge that needed to be used asap.  I decided to adapt the recipe to fit what I had in the fridge and pantry.  Deliciousness was born.

Spaghetti Squash with Buttery Kale
adapted from Snixy Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
1 bag of frozen kale
6 tbsp. butter
nutmeg
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/8 cup of goat cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
  • Cut spaghetti squash in half, brush with olive oil, and cook for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.  Let cool.  I let it cool in the fridge overnight.  Once cooled, shred the squash with a fork.  It will look a bit like spaghetti!
  • Toast the sunflower kernels in a dry, hot pan.  Set aside.
  • Melt the butter and add a sprinkle of nutmeg.  Once the butter foams and starts to brown, pour into a large bowl.
  • Pour the frozen kale in the skillet.  Cook through, adding a bit of water if needed.  Salt if desired.  Pour the cooked kale in the bowl with the butter and stir to coat the kale.
  • Put the cooked spaghetti squash "noodles" in the skillet and cook until warmed through.
  • Add the buttered kale, goat cheese, and cheddar cheese.  Stir together and cook until cheese is melted.
  • Stir the sunflower kernels throughout the squash and kale mixture.
  • Serve warm!

How do you like to cook spaghetti squash?  Gimme those recipes!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...