Tuesday, July 12, 2011

SCUBA Certified!

This spring my dad and I became certified Open Water SCUBA Divers.  I'm not yelling SCUBA at you; it's supposed to be in all caps.  I promise :).


My dad has always talked about wanting to scuba dive (I can't yell scuba at you any longer), and I've been pretty interested in it for awhile.  Dad, Colin, and I took an intro course in January, and we were hooked.  An intro class is a really great way to see if it's something you'd be interested in doing.

Dad and I had two weeks of classes in which we were in a classroom and in the pool for several hours.  At the end of that two weeks, we had to pass a multiple choice test.

Then came the big test.  Out in the open water.

For two days at the lake, we had to pass a series of water tests.


Did you know that you can clear a mask full of water while you're under water?

And the number one rule of scuba is to never ever hold your breath.  So you learn to breathe even if you lose oxygen.

Here I am with the instructor.  I'm about to dive off our boat.

This is me and Dad after we were certified.
We got to go on a dive by ourselves.

I'll save you the misery of seeing any close up photos of me in a wet suit!

We have our own snorkel, mask, boots, and fins, but we don't have the rest of the equipment yet, because it's expensive!
Scuba is definitely pricey to get in to, but it's so worth it!  If you're interested, do it like me and invest a little at a time.

Scuba is definitely not for those who have even a slight fear of water.  You've got to have your head about you when you're 60 feet under water and can't see very far in front of you-- I would know!

But if you love water and a little adventure, scuba is for you!

And here's an obligatory picture of Ruby.
She has an aversion to the camera, so face shots are hard to get.

Oh, and if you're wondering why Colin didn't get certified, he will soon.  I told you it was pricey!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...