Friday, July 22, 2011

Easy Peasy Spicy Black Bean Soup

This will be the easiest bean soup you'll ever make.  If you find an easier way, then let me know!

This recipe (although made before I went gluten free) could be gluten free if you double check your ingredients and make sure you don't get salsa or beans or seasoning with gluten hidden in them.

Ingredients
Can of black beans
Can of refried beans
Jar of salsa
Seasoning-- will depend on you, but I'll get to that in a second

Take the beans and salsa, throw it in a crockpot and add seasoning.
How spicy (or not) you like your food will determine what spices you use.
Here's what I used:
splash of olive oil for flavor and liquid
splash of water for liquid
garlic powder
onion powder
cilantro
salt & pepper
cumin
chili powder

Cook on high for an hour, then put the crockpot on warm and let it warm for a few hours.
I let it cook on high for an hour on my lunch break, and put it on warm when I went back to work.  It cooked for about 4 hours on warm.
That way the beans don't overcook.


When ready to eat, top the soup with shredded cheddar and sour cream.

Colin and I love spicy food, and we really liked this soup.  If you don't like spice, use a mild salsa and season accordingly.

This would also be a great party dip.  We threw tortilla chips in our bowl.

I got the idea for the soup from Real Simple but simplified it and used what ingredients I wanted to!

This will be a great winter soup, but I had to go ahead and try it, and we loved it even though it's over 100 degrees outside!  I hope you enjoy it too :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...