Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Updated: Slap Yo Momma Cobbler


Back in 2011 I posted a cobbler recipe.  Since then, I have made the recipe more times than I can count.  It never fails to be delicious and a crowd favorite.

I have adjusted the recipe just a bit (the amount of sugar).  I thought I'd post it again in case you were looking for an easy, homemade dessert to take to Thanksgiving, Christmas, or whatever party you might have coming up!


Fruit Cobbler
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Put 4 tbsp of butter in a dish and stick it in the oven until the butter melts.  Take the dish out of the oven, and swirl the butter around the bottom and sides.  You could use cooking spray if you want to skip the butter, but I like the buttery taste.
  • Cut up your fruit to whatever size you like.  You want anywhere from 2 to 3 cups of fruit once it's cut up (depending on how much crust to fruit ratio you want).  You can use whatever fruit you want.  Pictured above is peaches and strawberries.  They were both frozen, and I didn't thaw them.  You can use fresh or frozen fruit. 
  • Mix the fruit with 1/3 to 1 cup of sugar.  This where you'll have to adjust to your liking.  When I originally made this recipe, I used 1 cup of sugar-- always.  I was always using tart fruit like berries or plums.  They needed the sugar to mellow the tartness.  When I started making it with just peaches, I found that I only needed 1/3 cup of sugar.  If you're not sure how much to use, you can use 1/2 cup.  That won't be overly sweet, but it may still leave some tartness if you make a berry cobbler.
  • Start making the crust: 3/4 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1/4 tsp of salt, 3/4 cup of milk, and 1 tsp of vanilla.  I mix the dry ingredients and then add the milk and vanilla into the dry ingredients.
  • Pour the crust into the baking dish.
  • Pour the fruit on top, evenly distributing it.
  • Bake for about 50 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and bubbling.  I have found that every oven cooks differently, so it could take anywhere from 45-60 minutes.
I am definitely someone who experiments with recipes and cooking and baking.  Because you can make this cobbler with any fruit you want, there can't be an exact sugar measurement across the board.  The sugar will need to be adjusted according to what fruit you use.  You can add the sugar to the fruit a little at a time and take a small bite to see if it's enough.

Any time I make this, people love it and scrape the dish clean!  I made it for women's Bible study this Monday and didn't even get a bite before everyone else got to it!

Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top if you want to serve this at a dinner party you're hosting!

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...