Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Roasted Snow Peas and Corn

Roasting.  What a marvelous thing.  It has helped me eat more veggies and learn to love veggies I otherwise hated.  That's powerful.  So this blog post is a toast to the wonder of oven roasting.  To oven roasting!  (Raise your glass in the air as we toast!).

Since we've been buying a lot of fresh produce lately, I'm trying to find ways to save money.  Produce can be costly and has to be restocked often.  Did you know that fresh food doesn't last as long as canned and boxed food?  (Of course you did.)

I found these peas on sale and threw them in the freezer since I knew it would be a few days before I got to them.

I also got out a bag of frozen corn.  I like fresh corn on the cob better, but I think frozen corn is a good second option.
Toss the peas and corn with olive or canola oil.
Put on a baking sheet in a 450 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven and on the amount of food you're roasting).

Whip up this sauce while veggies are roasting:
-2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
-1 tbsp of soy sauce (I used soy sauce alternative)
-2 tsp of toasted sesame oil
-2 tsp of maple syrup
-pinch of cayenne pepper
Whisk that all together.
(*See note at end of post)

Take the peas and corn out of the oven and drizzle this sauce over them.

Colin and I had this for lunch, but it would made a great side dish.  It's delicious and savory!

*If you look at the ingredients and think there's no point in buying rice wine vinegar or toasted sesame oil, because you'll never use them again....you might be wrong.  I thought that but went ahead and bought it to try out some recipes, and I've been using both quite a bit.  I have a green bean recipe on my Pinterest board that uses the toasted sesame oil, and those green beans are ahhhmazing.  You can make salad dressings with the oil and vinegar and so much more.  Go ahead and buy them and expand your cooking.  I promise you won't regret it! (At least I hope you won't!).

---Roasted pea inspiration and dipping sauce recipe from Edible Perspective.--

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...